Sanofi launches $1.92B Zentiva offer

Make way for Sanofi-Aventis. The French pharma has officially launched a $1.92 billion counterbid for Zentiva, the Czech generics maker. It's a 14.6 percent premium over Zentiva's closing price the day before PPF Group announced its buyout bid--and 1,050 crowns per share compared with PPF's bid of 950 crowns. At Sanofi's price, the value of Zentiva would be $2.69 billion.

Zentiva officials now say they'll comment on the offer, which they had avoided doing since Sanofi announced its plans to make a bid last month. Zentiva wasn't so shy when it came to PPF's lower offer; the Czech company flat out told shareholders that PPF's bid was too low.

You'll recall that Sanofi bought a 24.9 percent stake in Zentiva back in 2006 for $518 million. The new bid is for the remaining 75.1 percent--but PPF owns 19.2 percent in partnership with an Italian insurer. If Sanofi can assemble a patchwork of other major shareholders--including management and employees at 5.9 percent--it could reach a 48.5 percent share--and then would only have to get a few minority shareholders on board. The offer is contingent on Sanofi amassing more than 50 percent of the company.

- here's Zentiva's statement
|- read the CNN Money story

Suggested Articles

CEPI, which started to help prepare the world for new outbreaks, has awarded Inovio and Moderna money for vaccine work against the new coronavirus.

The real estate impresario that built a chain of upscale drug recovery facilities is now building a gene and cell therapy CDMO near Philadelphia.

The seven-year Astellas venture served as a model for Amgen's recent $2.7 billion tie-up with BeiGene in China—and now it's amping up there, too.