DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/59c76a/hong_kong_pharmace) has announced the addition of the "Hong Kong Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Report Q4 2011" report to their offering.
Hong Kong was in the past an attractive commercial prospect, according to Business Monitor International's (BMI) Hong Kong Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Report Q4 2011, largely propped by the widespread use of patented medicines. However, the climate of cost-containment over the past decade and the rising prominence of the mainland market have somewhat diminished the interest in the Special Administrative Region (SAR). Nevertheless, the prevalence of non-communicable diseases will continue to provide commercial opportunities for international drugmakers, as will its relatively advanced regulatory regime.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: HKD7.98bn (US$1.03bn) in 2010 to HKD8.65bn (US$1.11bn) in 2011; +8.5% in local currency terms and +8.4% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: HKD83.01bn (US$10.69bn) in 2010 to HKD86.11bn (US$11.08bn) in 2011; +3.7% in local currency terms and +3.7% in US dollar terms.
- Medical devices: HKD4.10bn (US$527mn) in 2010 to HKD4.21bn (US$542mn) in 2011; +2.8% in local currency terms and +2.8% in US dollar terms.
Key Trends & Developments
- In June 2011, Japanese company Takeda Pharmaceutical and US pharmaceutical firm Eli Lilly entered an agreement to sell Evista (raloxifene HCl tablets) in seven Asian nations - including Hong Kong. Evista is approved and marketed to treat and prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women in all the regions, as well as to reduce the risk of breast cancer in the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- About one in every 10 adults in Hong Kong has been found to be a carrier of hepatitis B virus, reported China Daily in August 2011. However, the younger generation - born after 1988 - have received mandatory free hepatitis B vaccination in the country.
- Wuyi International Pharmaceutical
- CK Life Sciences
- South Asia Pharmamedic
- C&Y Pharmaceutical Investment
- Vida Laboratories
- Merck & Co
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/59c76a/hong_kong_pharmace
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
KEYWORDS: Asia Pacific Hong Kong
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Pharmaceutical