Novartis claims law on its side in Alcon fight

The wrangling over Alcon's minority shareholders continues. Novartis announced that it has a Swiss legal expert on its side in the fight over a lower-than-desired buyout offer. Of course, Alcon's stubborn independent directors say they have a legal expert on their side, too, and maintain that the minority investors deserve a higher price.

Novartis bought Nestle's 77 percent stake in the eye care company in a two-stage deal. The Swiss drugmaker wants the remaining 23 percent too, and it offered those minority shareholders a stock-swap deal worth some $153 per share at the time. Thing is, Novartis paid Nestle around $168 per share--and the minority investors, represented by Alcon's independent directors committee (IDC) have been agitating for more.

Essentially, the IDC says Swiss law gives it the right to approve--or disapprove--the minority buyout. But Novartis' legal eagle says that's not true. "Merger transaction decisions must be made by the full board and cannot be subject to a veto right by a sub-set or committee of directors," said Peter Nobel, law professor at the University of Zurich, to Dow Jones.

- here's Novartis' release
- read the Dow Jones news
- see the story from Bloomberg
- check out the Reuters coverage

Virtual Clinical Trials Summit

Virtual Clinical Trials Summit: The Premier Educational Event Focused on Decentralized Clinical Trials

In this virtual environment, we will look at current and future trends for ongoing virtual trials, diving into the many ways companies can improve patient engagement and trial behavior to enhance retention with a focus on emerging technology and harmonized data access across the clinical trial system.