CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Catabasis Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceutical company leveraging the therapeutic potential of omega-3 fatty acids and other well-characterized compounds to create dual action medicines for the treatment of inflammatory and metabolic diseases, today announced the appointment of Lucienne V. Ronco, Ph.D., to the newly created position of vice president, research. In addition, the company announced the appointment of leading experts to its newly formed clinical advisory board. These appointments will support the continued growth of the company and signify progress made in advancing the company’s rich pipeline of omega-3 conjugated compounds, which have the potential to treat a range of metabolic and inflammatory diseases.
“Lucienne brings to Catabasis a wealth of expertise in drug discovery and research, and we are pleased to welcome her to our leadership team,” said Mike Jirousek, Ph.D., co-founder and chief scientific officer of Catabasis. “Additionally, we are delighted to announce the addition of six world-renowned scientific experts with significant metabolic disease and drug development experience to our team of advisors. These appointments will be invaluable to the company as we advance our preclinical pipeline and progress our lead program in type 2 diabetes toward the clinic.”
Dr. Ronco has more than 10 years of industrial experience in translational science, drug discovery, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. Prior to joining Catabasis, Dr. Ronco held positions of increasing responsibility at AstraZeneca R&D Boston Inc. for 10 years. Most recently at AstraZeneca, she was the global director of discovery medicine, the local director for the departments of in vivo pharmacology, informatics and disease area research, and the breast disease team scientific lead. Prior to AstraZeneca, Dr. Ronco was a senior research investigator at the Pfizer, Inc. Discovery Technology Center. Dr. Ronco holds a Ph.D. in biological chemistry from the University of California, Los Angeles, and a B.S. in biology and environmental studies from Tufts University.
“The Catabasis leadership team has an impressive track record in drug discovery and their unwavering passion for developing new therapies for patients is evident,” said Dr. Ronco. “I look forward to helping the company bring forward breakthrough medicines that have the potential to treat a range of metabolic and inflammatory diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and inflammatory bowel disease.”
The inaugural members of Catabasis’ newly formed clinical advisory board include:
- John M. Amatruda, M.D., former senior vice president and franchise head, Merck’s discovery research and drug development effort in diabetes and obesity
- Eric Brass, M.D., professor of medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles; director of the Center for Clinical Pharmacology, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
- William W. Chin, M.D., executive dean for research, Bertarelli professor for translational medical science and professor of medicine, Harvard Medical School
- C. Ronald Kahn, M.D., president emeritus and head of the Section on Integrative Physiology and Metabolism, Joslin Diabetes Center; Mary K. Iacocca Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Roberto Marchioli, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., head of the laboratory of Clinical Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease, Consorzio Mario Negri Sud
- Roger Ulrich, Ph.D., chief development officer and co-founder, Calistoga Pharmaceuticals
Catabasis is dedicated to the discovery and development of innovative, effective and safe medicines to treat inflammatory and metabolic diseases. The company has assembled a team of passionate and experienced scientists who are committed to improving the lives of patients. Catabasis has developed a pipeline of molecules that amplify the beneficial effects of salicylates and omega-3 fatty acids to target the underlying etiologies of a spectrum of complex human diseases. Catabasis’ approach dramatically enhances the therapeutic potential of DHA and EPA, two essential fatty acids found in fish oil, by improving the delivery, potency and efficacy. The company was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in Cambridge, Mass. Please visit www.catabasispharma.com for more information.
Michele Rozen, 617-953-2214
KEYWORDS: United States North America Massachusetts
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Biotechnology Pharmaceutical Diabetes