ACLU threatens suit against Colorado as it ups pressure in hep C drug fight

Legal battles are being waged by the Attorney General in New York and others against insurers that balked at covering expensive hepatitis C drugs, while federal Medicaid officials have warned states over not providing the drugs. Now the American Civil Liberties Union is upping the pressures with several lawsuits around the country.

Having already filed a class action suit against the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration and a lawsuit against the Tennessee Department of Corrections, the ACLU in Colorado is now threatening to sue the state's Medicaid program for only covering the new gen hep C drugs for people whose liver disease has reached an advanced stage.

In a recent letter to Colorado officials, ACLU pointed to guidelines issued last year by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, which reminded them "of their obligation to provide access to these promising therapies based on the medical evidence.” At the time that it warned states, the federal agency also insisted the drugmakers, including Gilead Sciences ($GILD)--which dominates the market for the drugs--and competitor AbbVie ($ABBV), provide state programs with the lowest discounted price they offer to anyone else.

Conference

The 13th Annual Digital Pharma East

Digital Pharma East returns to the Pennsylvania Convention Center September 17–20, bringing together over 1000 attendees from biotech and pharma, to better understand how to present business plans, justify budget and innovation, and de-risk proposals getting shut down — essentially, understand how they can return to the office and become champions for their internal digital needs. Join us and save 15% on standard rates when you register with Discount Code DPE19Fierce.

Colorado rebuffed the ACLU's threat, the Denver Post reports, by pointing out the fed’s action came in the form of guidelines, not a mandate. The state also claimed the guidelines do not require Colorado to pay for expanded use of the drugs.

The fight in Colorado mirrors actions elsewhere. In May, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s office sued health insurer CDPHP for delaying coverage of hep C treatments until patients are in advanced stages of the disease. The suit alleges CDPHP restricted coverage of hep C treatments over their cost without disclosing in health plan documents that cost was a factor in determining coverage. The insurer also has not revealed how it determines when benefits will be covered, which the AG’s suit said violated state health and insurance laws.

But at least one state, Massachusetts, is handling the issue for its Medicaid patients with a much more innovative approach. It followed the example of some large payers and recently struck a deal for rebates from Gilead in exchange for making hep C cure Harvoni “the exclusive therapy” for about 80% of the MassHealth members infected with the virus. The other 20% are expected to get Gilead’s Sovaldi and Bristol-Myers Squibb’s Daklinza, for which the state said it also has worked special deals.

- read the Denver Post story 

Related Articles: 
Medicaid calls on Gilead, AbbVie to answer hep C drug pricing questions
New York AG sues insurer over restrictive hep C coverage 
Exclusive deal with Gilead on hep C to cut Massachusetts Medicaid costs

 

Read more on

Suggested Articles

Bristol-Myers Squibb is out to expand the pool of colorectal cancer patients it can treat with Opdivo—and it’s bringing in Bayer to help.

When AstraZeneca sold its Avlon, England plant in 2016, it thought its liabilities were over. Former employees said the drugmaker broke its promises.

Pharmacy chain Rite Aid has partnered with Google to have their drug recycling stations easily searchable on Google Maps.