Takeda, Shanghai Pharmaceuticals & others expanding in China; OmniChem expands in India, Belgium;

> Japan's Takeda is adding a new drug development center in Shanghai intended to complement the international clinical work now under way in Singapore and Cambridge, MA. Story

> Ajinomoto OmniChem, the Belgium-based maker of highly potent active pharmaceutical ingredients and intermediates, has commissioned a new plant in Wetteren, Belgium, one of two projects to expand capacity. Item

> Spain-based Chemo will provide the development and commercial manufacturing services for hormone-eluting devices, while Particle Sciences of Bethlehem, PA, will provide formulation, testing and scale-up of drug/device combinations. News

> Abbott Laboratories ($ABT) will invest €85 million in the expansion of its pharmaceutical manufacturing facility in Sligo, Ireland and expects to complete the work in 2014. Abbott release 

> Tianyin Pharmaceutical expects to complete by year's end a $25 million plant for TCM pharmaceutical ingredients in Qionglai city, south of Chengdu, China, an area designated for pharmaceutical industry. Report

> Shanghai Pharmaceuticals will acquire a 70% stake in API maker Changzhou Kony Pharm Co. and will buy the remaining 30% in the next two years. Release 

> The EU is under pressure to soften enforcement provisions in its proposed Free Trade Agreement with India which, critics say, could affect the availability of generic drugs to the developing world. More

> China's State Council has issued its 12th Five-Year Pharmaceutical Safety Standard with plans to raise industry standards and improve safety supervision of 6,500 Chinese-made medicines. Story

> The FDA wants to alter the trade secrets law to share information with regulators in other countries. News

> The president's budget calls on drug companies to provide an additional $156 billion in rebates over 10 years, but it also includes $10 million more for FDA inspectors in China. Report | Item

Suggested Articles

The FDA has found issues with the testing practices of a U.S. generics maker that had specific problems with ADHD and weight-loss drugs.

A warning letter says Chinese API maker Yibin Lihao Bio-technical was found lying to the FDA about manufacturing unapproved heparin.

It took four tries over four years, but Perrigo has finally gotten FDA approval of its generic of Teva’s tricky-to-make ProAir HFA asthma inhaler.