What's the worst drug shortage?
"If you have cancer," says Erin Fox of the University of Utah Hospitals' Drug Information Service, "it will be a chemotherapy drug. If you have an infection, it will be an antibiotic. Plus, ‘worst' is going to differ between hospitals and between pharmacies. Not every hospital has 200 drugs in short supply. Supplies will differ at hospitals, even across the street."
The view of an oncologist, however, is different. "Somebody's got to grab this [cancer drug shortage] situation and do something about it," says Gerald Segal of Northwest Cancer Specialists in Portland, OR, in OregonLive. He's talking specifically about the shortage of leucovorin, one of the many cancer drugs in short supply. Of cancer drug shortages in general, Segal says the U.S. may need a drug czar.
- Vincristine Injection (Leukemia); Teva, Hospira
- Idarubicin Hydrochloride Injection (Leukemia); APP, Teva, Bedford
- Fludarabine Injection (Leukemia); APP
- Cyclophosphamide for Injection (Cancer); Baxter
- Thiotepa Injection (Cancer); Bedford, Adienne
- Busulfan (Cancer); Otsuka, GSK
- Cisplatin Injection (Chemo); APP, Bedford
- Etoposide Injection (Chemo); Bedford, APP, Teva, etc
- Cefaclor Suspension (Chemo); Ranbaxy
- Fluorouracil Injection (Colorectal); APP, Mylan, Teva
- Leucovorin Calcium Injection (Colorectal); Bedford, Teva, APP
- Bleomycin Injection (Hodgkin's); APP, Bedfford, Teva, Hospira
- Mechlorethamine HCl Injection (Hodgkin's); Lundbeck
- Leuprolide Acetate 14-Day Kit (Cancer): Caraco, Sandoz, Teva
- Cytarabine Injection (Leukemia); APP, Bedford
- Doxorubicin Injection (Leukemis, Lymphoma); APP, Teva, Bedford
- Ethiodized Oil (Lymphography); Savage Labs
- Mustargen Injection (Lymphosarcoma); Lundbeck
- Dacarbazine Injection (Melanoma); Teva, Hospira, Bedford
- Doxorubicin Liposomal Injection (Multiple Myeloma); Centocor Ortho
- Irinotecan Injection (Colorectal); Bedford, Hospira, Sandoz, Teva
- Denuleukin Diftitox Injection (T-cell Lymphoma); Eisai
- Thyrogen Injection (Thyroid Cancer); Genzyme
- Thyrotropin Alfa (Thyroid Cancer); Genzyme
Editor's note: The story originally said Xeloda and Capcitabine were in short supply; however, these shortages have been resolved. We have updated the story to reflect this and apologize for any confusion.