DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/3a5dd1/patent_strategies) has announced the addition of the "Patent Strategies - Effective Strategies for Extension of Product Lifecycles and Combating Aggressive Generics Markets" report to their offering.
Patent Strategies - Effective Strategies for Extension of Product Lifecycles and Combating Aggressive Generics Markets provides key data, information and analysis on the main patent protection strategies being implemented by pharmaceutical companies. The report provides information on the pre-patent expiry and post-patent expiry strategies, the reasons why companies implement patent strategies and the challenges faced by them. This report provides comprehensive analysis of five key patent strategies (new indications, formulation variants, extended/controlled released versions, Rx-to-OTC switches, and store brand generics) using case studies. It also reviews the factors determining the success and failure of the strategies, providing an understanding of how to ensure success for maintaining effective patent portfolios.
It is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in house analysis by a team of industry experts.
Need for Robust Patent Portfolio in the Midst of Blockbuster Drug's Expiry
The pharmaceutical industry is going to experience major patent expiries during 2010-2014, of which 2010 to 2012 are expected to be peak years, with the loss of patents for drugs whose sales were more than $60 billion during 2009.
In 2010, major drugs like Lipitor, Cozaar, Advair, Arimidex, Flomax and Gemzar, with combined sales revenues of more than $24 billion, are expected to face generic competition. In 2011, nine drugs of six companies are going to experience a major impact of patent expirations. The drugs include Femara, Xalaton, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Almita, Aprovel, Plavix, Singulair and Zoladex, which together account for more than $20 billion sales revenue all over the world.
In contrast to 2011, 2012 is going to have less patent expirations, but the impact on sales is going to be greater than that of 2011; more than $15 billion for three drug expiries. Novartis blockbuster drug Diovan, with sales revenue above $6 billion; Bristol-Myers Squibbs Avapro, with sales revenue above $6 billion; and Sanofi-Aventis Lovenox, with sales revenue of $3 billion, are expected to expire in 2012. Eli Lilly's Cymbalta is the only major drug to face generic competition in 2013, with sales revenue of $3 billion all over the world. In 2014, Roches blockbuster drug Rituxan is going off-patent, creating impact on $6 billion of sales revenues. The full impact of patients shifting to lower-cost generic alternatives for all these products, as well as other brands in their therapy classes, will mostly be felt in 2012 and 2013, due to the timing and expected competitive intensity among generic entrants.
The scope of this report includes:
- Understanding of the R&D process and the necessity of patent protection.
- An overview of current patent protection mechanisms employed by pharmaceutical companies.
- Detailed study of pre-patent protection strategies with special emphasis on strategies which help combating generic competition.
- Post-patent expiry strategies like authorized generics and orange book delisting with case studies.
- Inputs for customized patent strategy based on business situation.
- Case studies of successful patent strategies.
Reasons to buy
The report will enhance your decision making capability.
It will provide you with:
- Build understanding of the key Patent strategies in place and the trends in the market
- Optimize your R&D pipeline through identification and understanding of the key strategy for your drug.
- Identify the key players best positioned to capitalize on their products through effective management of the lifecycle of their patented products.
- Develop effective business strategies related to Patents through the analytical insight gained from case studies covering different strategies in the market.
- Understand the fit between the patent strategy and your product considering various factors pertaining to the market, product and therapeutic area.
- Ensure success in patent portfolio management through the analysis of key success and failure factors and the use of the framework for measuring performance.
Key Topics Covered:
1 Table of Contents
2 Patent Strategies Introduction
3 Patent Strategies Need for Robust Patent Portfolio
4 Patent Strategies Overview of Patent Protection Methodology
5 Patent Strategies Pre-Patent Expiry Strategies
6 Patent Strategies Post Patent Expiry Strategies
7 Patent Strategies Appendix
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/3a5dd1/patent_strategies.
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Pharmaceutical Professional Services Other Professional Services