DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/110c7d/the_pain_market_ou) has announced the addition of the "The Pain Market Outlook to 2016" report to their offering.
The heterogeneity of pain necessitates a wide range of analgesics with different modes of action and delivery methods. As such, many different classes of drugs co-exist in the pain market. However, despite the wide range of treatment options, pain remains inadequately managed and substantial market opportunities exist for developers in chronic pain and neuropathic pain.
Features and benefits
- Assess the forecast epidemiology and development of the pain market across the 7MM.
- Analyze the dynamics of the global pain market and understand the impact of key R&D events, market trends, and issues.
- Gain up-to-date competitive intelligence and understand the major issues affecting key pharmaceutical marketers and product development.
- Forecast revenues for major currently marketed and pipeline pain products over 2010-16
- Develop strategies for success in the future global pain market.
The global pain market recorded sales of $22.0bn in 2010, rising at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.9% from 2005. This growth was supported by the presence of five blockbuster pain drugs - OxyContin, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Celebrex and Lidoderm. However, as patent expiries loom, the global market value is set to contract to $18.7bn by 2016.
The pain pipeline is vast, featuring over 200 drugs in clinical development. Chronic pain remains the most studied indication, although there remains strong interest in neuropathic pain and acute pain. Tapentadol ER has the greatest potential of any pipeline drug, with superior tolerability to OxyContin and potential efficacy in neuropathic pain.
Pfizer was the market-leading company in the global pain market, registering $6.4bn in sales in 2010. Collectively, the top five pain companies accounted for 76.1% of the global market. This dominance is set to wane as their pipelines will be unable to restore market share lost to generics and new product launches.
- Purdue Pharma
- Eli Lilly
- Johnson & Johnson
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/110c7d/the_pain_market_ou
Source: Business Insights
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager,
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Pharmaceutical