DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/06f34d/osteoporosis_pip) has announced the addition of GlobalData's new report "Osteoporosis - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2017" to their offering.
Osteoporosis - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2017. The report is an essential source of information and analysis on the global osteoporosis therapeutics market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the global osteoporosis therapeutics market. The report also provides insights into the competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to significantly alter the positions of the existing market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insights into the pipeline products within the global osteoporosis sector.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by a team of industry experts.
The Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market is Forecast to Grow Significantly to 2017
The global osteoporosis therapeutics market was valued at $9.6 billion in 2009. It is expected to grow to $18.2 billion by 2017 at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 8.2%. This significant growth is primarily attributed to the strong current treatment options as well as strong pipeline candidates. An increase in the prevalence of osteoporosis among the female population is the principal driver of the osteoporosis market and will continue to be in the future. The significant reason for the increase in prevalence is due to the decline in the use of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) in healthy postmenopausal women. HRT has been used to help prevent the bone loss that leads to osteoporosis. However, recent negative study results, showing an increased risk of heart attacks, stroke, breast cancer and blood clots, have led to a decline in HRT usage. Therefore, a decline in the use of HRT and an increase in the diseased population will combine to contribute to the increased burden of osteoporosis.
Globally, the US remains the largest market for osteoporosis therapeutics and it was valued at $2.9 billion in 2009. It is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 8.2% over the next eight years.
Current Treatment Options Moderately Meet the Prevailing Market Demand
The authors have analyzed the current market landscape and found it to be strong. Antiresorptive and bone-forming drugs are the two classes that are used for the treatment of osteoporosis. Bisphosphonates, calcitonin, estrogen and estrogen agonists/antagonists are the major antiresorptive agents available in the market. The above classes include alendronate (Fosamax), risedronate (Actonel), ibandronate (Bonivia), zoledronic acid (Reclast) and raloxifene (Evista). The market is currently dominated by antiresorptive drugs. However, new bone-forming agents are being developed by researchers and are expected to be available by 2015. Products available in the market for the treatment of osteoporosis are at the lower side of the efficacy spectrum. There is a need for a product which meets the clinical end points. Products such as Fosamax and Reclast are very safe but still lack efficacy to meet the desired clinical outcome.
The scope of the report includes:
- Annualized global Osteoporosis therapeutics market revenue data from 2001 to 2009, forecast for eight years to 2017.
- Geographies covered in this report include the United States (US), the United Kingdom (UK), Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Japan.
- Pipeline analysis data provides a split across the different phases, mechanisms of action being developed and emerging trends. The molecules under development for osteoporosis can be categorized as calcium modulators, CTSK inhibitors, bone-tissue resorption inhibitors and SERMs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global osteoporosis therapeutics market. The key future market players covered are Amgen, Ligand Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, Osteologix, Novartis AG, GlaxoSmithKline Inc,
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide a qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include a strategic competitor assessment, a market characterization, the unmet needs and the implications for the osteoporosis market.
The report will enhance your decision making capability. It will allow you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipelines.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global Osteoporosis therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to affect the global Osteoporosis therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify the emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present the best opportunities for consolidation, investments and strategic partnerships.
- What's the next big thing in the global Osteoporosis therapeutics market landscape? Identify, understand and capitalize.
Key Topics Covered:
1 Table of contents
2 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Introduction
3 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Market Characterization
4 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Competitive Assessment
5 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Pipeline Assessment
6 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Implications for Future Market Competition
7 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Future Players in the Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market
8 Osteoporosis Therapeutics Market: Appendix
- Pfizer 37
- NPS Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Zelos Therapeutics, Inc
- Novartis AG
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/06f34d/osteoporosis_pip
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager,
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Pharmaceutical Other Health