GSK, Pfizer discount vaccines for poor

Over the next 10 years, kids in developing countries will see a stream of discounted vaccines from Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline. The two drugmakers have inked a long-term vaccine deal with the GAVI Alliance through which they will supply millions of doses at prices well below their usual cost in return for a sales guarantee.

GSK and Pfizer each promised 30 million doses of their pneumococcal-disease shots--Synflorix and Prevnar-13, respectively--over 10 years. The first 20 percent of shots sold will go for $7 each; the remaining 80 percent will go at a price of $3.50. By contrast, GSK and Pfizer charge between $54 and $108 per shot for those vaccines in developed nations, Reuters notes.

Funding for the program comes from a variety of countries, including Britain, Italy and Russia, along with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. GAVI is hoping that this deal will pave the way for future deals on new vaccines against rotavirus.

- see Pfizer's release
- check out GSK's release
- read the Reuters story

Editor's Note: This article was updated to clarify that Pfizer would be providing Prevnar-13, not Prevnar, as part of the agreement.

Launch Readiness

Optimize cross-functional collaboration and engage with key stakeholders for the successful launch of a product

Join the Launch Readiness for Medical Affairs & Communications Teams Summit to learn best practices in taking a structured approach to enhance medical affairs activities surrounding a launch and increase knowledge and communication with thought leaders.