PALM DESERT BASED NON-PROFIT LAUNCHES NEW WAYS TO CONNECT AFTER RAISING MORE THAN $2.5 MILLION IN FIVE SHORT YEARS
PALM DESERT, Calif., Oct. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is in full swing and a Palm Desert based non-profit BIGHORN Behind A Miracle (BAM) is proud to announce its new Facebook page, www.facebook.com/bighornbam, featuring an opportunity to send MIRACLE MESSAGES of hope and support to your loved ones fighting breast cancer. In addition, BAM recently launched its enhanced website www.bighornbam.com, also incorporating new ways to continue its mission to empower women battling breast cancer.
"BIGHORN BAM's MIRACLE MESSAGES are a way to honor women we love, serve as words of hope, healing and encouragement as well as thank everyone in our community who support survivors," shares Theresa Maggio, Marketing Director for BIGHORN Golf Club and volunteer for BIGHORN BAM. Inspired by a story involving an Eisenhower cancer patient after she was told she had this deadly disease, this survivor, new to town, say a promotional poster on BIGHORN BAM and its volunteers showing their encouragement with fists pumped in the air and smiles on their faces. BIGHORN BAM dedicated a holiday tree in her honor of her bravery and filled it with pink ribbon messages for anyone who walked through Eisenhower Medical Center Lucy Curci Cancer Center. In December, Eisenhower will proudly display this tree again and give everyone an opportunity to add more messages.
"We are thrilled to reach out to a wider population, and share the life changing and empowering messages for patients who need encouragement while undergoing one of the most challenging diseases facing women today," says Selby Dunham, Founder and 7-year survivor. "We hope that as patients, survivors, families and friends you can both find and leave messages that inspire others, tell your own story or share how Breast Cancer has affected your life.
BIGHORN BAM is a Coachella Valley endeavor founded in 2007 by breast cancer survivor Selby Dunham. It is dedicated to providing critical funding needed to help in the diagnosis, treatment, research, services and education for those affected by breast cancer. BIGHORN BAM holds several fundraisers throughout the year to benefit Eisenhower Medical Center Lucy Curci Cancer Center and The Pendleton Foundation.
Betty Wolf, Vice President of the Eisenhower Medical Center, a benefactor of BIGHORN BAM proceeds, commented, "BIGHORN BAM's heartfelt donations have provided much needed mammogram machines, diagnostic technologies, genetic counseling, and 3,182 round-trip transportation services for patients receiving radiation and chemotherapy treatment."
Visitors will now have easy access to the BIGHORN BAM Facebook page by logging on to www.facebook.com/BighornBAM. The Facebook page allows women in treatment, survivors, and supporters to connect and share their stories on the interactive Miracle Messages application here: http://www.facebook.com/BighornBAM/app_229736333820272?ref=ts
In addition to a revitalized Facebook page, which has swelled to well over 1,600 likes in a matter of days, BIGHORN BAM is urging everyone to check out the BAM website at www.BighornBAM.com where you can get the latest on fundraisers and post your Miracle Messages of empowering support and remembrance to those affected by breast cancer.
You can also find ways get involved in supporting BIGHORN BAM:
- Saturday, November 17 - A Miracle on El Paseo, shoppers will be invited to various in-store activities at the Shops on EL Paseo, watch an ice skating show, and watch the lighting of the 60' tall Christmas tree by the legendary Olympic Medalist Dorothy Hamill
- Friday, March 8, 2013 – Donating silent auction gifts or sponsorship for the BIGHORN BAM Launch Party; help kick off the annual golf tournament with this festive party
- Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - Game Day for Life, is an opportunity for friends to get together for afternoon of fashion, games, food and fun
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - Cash for Caddies, a time for golf tournament participants to come together for cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and a lively auction for their favorite caddy who may hit one shot per hole in the tournament
- Thursday, April 11, 2013 - BIGHORN BAM Golf Tournament, one of the most successful fundraisers for BIGHORN BAM as participants enjoy BIGHORN Golf Club's wonderful Canyons course, award ceremony, luncheon, and fabulous poolside raffle
For more information regarding any of our upcoming events, or to find out how to donate, please visit the BIGHORN BAM website, or call the new direct phone line: (760) 610-8218.
For current press releases, high-res photos, or to set up an interview, please call Theresa Maggio at BIGHORN BAM (760) 610-8224.
ABOUT BIGHORN BAM:
Inspired to save the lives of Coachella Valley cancer patients, BIGHORN Behind a Miracle (BAM) raised $1 million for cancer patient support services, breast cancer diagnostic technologies and educational scholarships during their five month long fundraising campaign. BIGHORN BAM also announces an astounding $2.56 million in fundraising mark in five short years.
BIGHORN BAM's 2011-2012 fundraising dollars will benefit The Pendleton Foundation, whose organization helps cancer patients with gas cards to get to radiation treatments, assists with rent or utilities because they cannot work, grocery cards so their family can eat and other ways to ease the financial impact upon their households. As well as support the Eisenhower Schnitzer/Novack Breast Center and Eisenhower BIGHORN Radiation Oncology Center, BAM marks its fifth year and is one of the largest single private fundraisers benefiting Eisenhower Medical Center.
Over the past five years, BIGHORN BAM has provided the following for early breast cancer detection, diagnoses and screening at Eisenhower:
- 3,182 Round Trip Transportation rides for Radiation & Chemotherapy patients who would have had to depend on public transportation.
- SIEMENS ACUSON S2000 Whole Breast 3D Ultrasound System
- 2 New Mammogram Units for Eisenhower Lucy Curci Schnitzer/Novack Breast Center
- 2 SuperSonic Imagine Aixplorer Ultrasound System.
- Digitizer to convert x-ray films into digitized images for higher magnification studies.
- Invivo Breast Array Coil for the Eisenhower Schnitzer/Novack Breast Center.
- SonoSite Portable Ultrasound Machine for advanced breast imaging.
- Specialized Suro ATEC Breast Biopsy and Excision System – modifies existing MRI to perform breast imaging/biopsy.
- CD Burner for mammography images given to patients.
- 3 Breast Boards and Head Supports for more exacting and comfortable patient positioning during radiation treatment.
- 100 Comforting Spa Robes for patients awaiting radiation treatment.
- 2 Digital Faxitron: rapid breast tumor specimen x-ray/analyzer during surgical excision or core biopsy procedures.
- Bone Densitometer to allow patients to have their mammogram and bone density test done during the same appointment.
- Gamma Probe for sentinel lymph node localization for rapid detection of metastic breast cancer that may have spread to the lymph nodes.
- Blanket Warmer to provide warm comfort during treatment for radiation oncology patients
- New Breast Cancer Patient Diagnosis Resource Kits.
- Breast Cancer Patient Genetic Counseling.
- $70,000 given to The Pendleton Foundation to assist cancer patient's most basic needs.
- Educational scholarships supporting families with cancer survivors.
"I am so excited to give back to Eisenhower," says Selby Dunham, a breast cancer survivor of seven years. "After all, they gave me my life." For more information, please log onto www.bighornbam.com.
SOURCE BIGHORN BAM