AVEO Reports Second Quarter 2012 Financial Results
AVEO OncologyMonique Allaire, 617-299-5810orAVEO OncologyRob Kloppenburg, 617-930-5595orPure CommunicationsDan Budwick, 973-271-6085
AVEO Oncology (NASDAQ: AVEO) today reported consolidated financial results for the second quarter of 2012, and highlighted recent developments and key second quarter accomplishments.
“The last six months have been very productive for AVEO Oncology, as highlighted by the presentation of the positive results from the TIVO-1 trial of tivozanib in kidney cancer at the ASCO Annual Meeting and the announcement of plans to initiate TAURUS, a new clinical study evaluating patient preference for tivozanib compared to sunitinib,” said Tuan Ha-Ngoc, president and chief executive officer of AVEO. “Over the next several months, we and our partner Astellas are focused on submitting our new drug application for tivozanib to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, as well as on the operational and pre-commercial activities necessary to bring tivozanib to patients with advanced kidney cancer.”
• Total collaboration revenues for the second quarter of 2012 were approximately $1.9 million compared with $26.6 million for the second quarter of 2011. The decrease was due to the revenue recognized during the second quarter of 2011 under AVEO’s collaboration agreements with OSI, Centocor and Biogen that did not recur during the second quarter of 2012.
• Research and development (R&D) expense for the second quarter of 2012 was $21.5 million compared with $25.1 million for the second quarter of 2011. The decrease in R&D expense was primarily due to a decrease in manufacturing costs largely related to ficlatuzumab inventory received and expensed during the second quarter of 2011, as well as a decrease in clinical trials costs primarily related to ficlatuzumab. These decreases were partially offset by an increase in personnel-related expenses and development costs related to tivozanib.
• General and administrative (G&A) expense for the second quarter of 2012 was $9.2 million compared with $6.4 million for the second quarter of 2011. The increase in G&A expense was primarily driven by an increase in expenses related to pre-commercialization activities for tivozanib.
• Net loss for the second quarter of 2012 was $29.5 million, or basic and diluted net loss per share of $0.68, compared with net loss of $5.7 million, or basic and diluted net loss per share of $0.16, for the second quarter of 2011.
• AVEO ended the second quarter of 2012 with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $215.9 million.
AVEO is maintaining its financial guidance and continues to expect year-end 2012 cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of at least $120 million, with R&D spending, net of cost sharing with Astellas, of approximately $130 million. AVEO anticipates that this capital is sufficient to fund its operations into the second half of 2013 based on its current operating plans.
AVEO expects to present at the following investor conferences:
AVEO expects to have a presence at the following oncology medical meeting:
The AVEO management team will host a conference call at 10:00 a.m. (EDT) today. The call can be accessed by dialing 1-888-268-4176 (domestic) or 1-617-597-5493 (international) five minutes prior to the start of the call and providing the passcode 22158341. A replay of the call will be available approximately two hours after the completion of the call and can be accessed by dialing 1-888-286-8010 (domestic) or 1-617-801-6888 (international), providing the passcode 38686087. The replay will be available for two weeks from the date of the call.
A webcast of the conference call can also be accessed by visiting the investors section of the AVEO website at investor.aveooncology.com. A replay of the webcast will be archived on the company’s website for two weeks following the call.
AVEO Oncology (NASDAQ: AVEO) is a cancer therapeutics company committed to discovering, developing and commercializing targeted therapies to impact patients’ lives. AVEO's proprietary Human Response Platform provides the company unique insights into cancer biology and is being leveraged in the discovery and clinical development of its cancer therapeutics. For more information, please visit the company’s website at .