Five die in pharma plant fire

A short circuit is the likely cause of a fatal fire in India that was triggered as workers inside a bottling chamber transferred bulk alcohol into bottles. Five were killed and three seriously injured at Kayvee Aeropharm in Kadi, Mehsana, 50 miles north of Ahmedabad.

The short circuit caused a blast in a chemical manufacturing drum, says IBN Live. It happened late Saturday morning in the 25- by 12-foot chamber, access to which was provided by only the main air-tight entrance, reports DNA India.

Fire spread quickly inside the sealed chamber, according to the report. Firefighters broke through the rear wall of the chamber to reach the workers.

- here's the DNA story
- see the IBN report

Suggested Articles

While no shortages of drug supplies have been reported, governments are trying to get a handle on what they can do if they materialize.

Branded drug sales in China could suffer in the short term as marketing activities for new meds are limited to reduce the risk of contagion.

Korean CDMO Samsung Biologics is expanding and China API maker WuXi STA opened a 30,000-square-foot oligonucleotide manufacturing facility.