Merck will soon launch a new cholesterol combo that melds its Zetia drug with generic Lipitor. The Zetia-plus-statin approach isn't new, of course; Merck already sells Vytorin , a combination of Zetia and its own off-patent statin Zocor, known generically as Simvastatin.
Union President Mark "Isy" Snyder recently informed workers that the company would like to go to 12-hour shifts since some processes take longer than 8 hours.
Pfizer catapulted itself into the vaccine big leagues in 2009 by merging with Wyeth, and continued demand for Prevnar 13 has seen it consolidate its position. Analysts predict its sales could dwarf other vaccines--hitting $6.7 billion in 2018--but recent quarters suggest it will be a bumpy ride.
The vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) has proven an effective tool in the past. In 2008, a U.K. study found one dose protects 95% of people against measles, with the follow-up shot immunizing most of the remaining 5%. Now similar data is emerging from Wales.
Yesterday Merck's top executives spent a considerable amount of time trying to reassure analysts that the Big Pharma company is actively engaged in the hunt for new drugs needed to beef up a weak pipeline.
Nothing spoke more loudly today of Merck's current worries than its new $15 billion stock-buyback program. But with sales suffering from Singulair generics, an unexpected shortfall in Januvia sales, and a series of recent R&D disappointments to its credit, Merck needs all the investor-relations help it can get.
Even an added $15 billion stock buyback announcement and claims about transitory inventory issues couldn't shift analysts' attention from an increasingly urgent question: What can Merck do to reverse the company's woeful record in R&D?
New research suggests that two doses of human papillomavirus vaccine could be as effective as the current three-dose regimen, which would increase uptake.
Sales of GlaxoSmithKline's rotavirus vaccine Rotarix and Merck's shingles vaccine Zostavax will be buoyed by their inclusion on the U.K. national immunization schedule.
Pharmaco-Kinesis Corporation has combined two tested, on-the-market cancer drugs to form one super-drug. If successful, it will be the first combination nano-drug product candidate.